Aug 29, 2011

Monarch cocoon

This is the most amazing little treat! Celia spotted this monarch cocoon on our front window. After researching I have found that Munster, IN is right on the Monarch butterfly migration path. They munch on milkweed, which the previous owners planted in our front flower garden (Thanks, Mark and Becky!!! I bet you did that on purpose, huh?)! The cocoon is clear but the color of the pupa is this gorgeous luscious green and the outside is adorned with lovely gold and black specks; the gold is so bright and so fabulous to find in nature!!! As the metamorphosis transpires before our eyes we will watch the pupa change from green to the noticeable Monarch coloring. The stage is 7-10 days and we are already seeing the wings inside. I swear I'm ordering a time lapse garden camera today so we won't miss the butterfly's awakening! If I'm lucky enough to find one online and get it going in time, I'll be certain to post it on here! Yay for mother nature!

No comments: