May 23, 2008

Infestation




At the present, Huntington, WV is experiencing a huge cicada infestation; these "17 year cicadas" are natural aerators that have swarmed our backyard (the photos above don't really reveal the magnitude of their presence!).  Apparently, I don't recall their last exit seventeen years ago because I have become obsessed with the little ghostly larva and spend every evening marveling their slow moving existence. If you have never seen these beasts emerging from their delicate exoskeletons, then you are truly missing a wonderful process. I know it must sound insane that I have fallen for these monsters; it is just one of my many peculiar tendencies (and love for that which is eerie and uncommon)!

p.s. John Paul once made cicada cookies (I'm assuming 17 years ago!). He certainly must have added chocolate chips for some type of sweetness! Would anyone like the recipe? mmmmmm.

1 comment:

Jonny said...

I think they're pretty rad. Little guys, eyes red from long shifts at high altitude. I admire they're steadfastness!

And, if it's not rude, I'll pass on the cicada cookies. Sorry, J.P.