Mar 14, 2009

Bringing home 2nd!






Sam finally has completed another milestone; today he experienced his first Social Studies Fair and 2nd place award! He worked for days and days on his project. He researched, watched documentaries, searched the internet, made video, typed, glued, duct taped, and won his school social studies fair, which entered him in the county fair. Well, after completing his school fair, he was finished. I think he was just sick of the entire process. However, his father, much to my shock, insisted that he compete at the county level. He bucked and belly-ached (as my mom would say), fretting the 4 hour tour, not to mention the fact that he had to wear a dress shirt (aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! the end of the world!). When I walked into the high school gymnasium, I could hardly control my excitement. I very quickly walked the entire length of the presentation tables in search of his project. When I finally spotted it my heart must have skipped a beat. I was so full of motherly pride; of course I began to cry. I collected myself enough to snap some quick photos and scrambled off to the awards ceremony. Sam, at this point, was just as excited. And, finally, he realized that he, too, was proud of himself. During the ceremony, which, by the way, began with high school, then middle school (single and group awards) and ended with the elementary school awards (single and group), Celia was clapping and giggling. I knew that had to be a good sign. When his name was called, I nearly tripped over the stroller and almost beat him to the stage to take his picture. I just wanted to slap a big bear hug on him, but refrained myself for I knew he would have been totally mortified, being a 5th grader and all! Congratulations to Sam! Hip-hip-hooray!

3 comments:

MACook said...

I am so unbelievably proud of Sam! He is growing up! Great story, you are a great writer and photographer! I found myself tearing up! xx

twhite said...

awe, thanks, m. love you. miss you. dang i hate that dc is so flipping far away. xx 2 u 2.

Anonymous said...

Samuel! Sorry I did not get to this until now! You did such a great job!!! You look so grown up and handsome!! What a good job you did on this project!! Keep up the good work it will mean so much in the future! Love YOU! Grandma Meg