Mar 8, 2009

Green Week: 6






Last week a fellow educator told me of a hidden little place where I could photograph cars that had become part of the landscape. I really wasn't quite sure of the exact location, but as Johnny and I drove around enjoying the incredible March weather, we just "happened" upon it. Which, of course, is how I love life to happen. We pulled off of the country road and I approached the nearest house, which was quite in shambles itself, not to mention the yard. Now, I am just about as proud as I can be about the area in which I live, but I do admit that sometimes going outside of the city limits leads straight to trash. Really, though, no matter how "trashy" a place might be, somehow I understand that hidden within, below, above, all around the trash are precious jewels. Of course perspective is key. Anyway, I knocked, a bit apprehensively, on the tiny door adorned with a shredded little curtain. The woman who (finally) gave me permission to traverse the land, was just as apprehensive of me. After some ramblings about photography, old cars, being taken advantage of, teaching, friendship, and (believe it or not) trash (literally), I headed up the hillside in search of old cars. It was like climbing a mountain to heaven; it was so steep. Sprinkled along the hillside the entire way up were tires, broken glass, and a whole lot of cars (and car parts that I couldn't even begin to explain). The top of the hill sparkled with old, metal, colorful, cars of yesterday. Their condition was deplorable and the whole area took on an eerie feel. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't at least twice think of a strange mountain hermit that might be hungry enough to eat me living in an abandon bus or car in this glory land. I scurried around adjusting my exposure and wondering just how long those cars were there and thinking of their former lives; of course mirroring my own life and the events that have changed me throughout the years. It certainly was a moment. One old clunker is a Green Week post on Flickr. However, you can only get the story here.

No comments: